This project is an advancement of the Excellent Educators project of year 4, which addressed educator preparation, development, evaluation, leadership, licensure, and equal distribution. In Year 5, GLCC will broker collaborative relationships with the GTL and the AIR Educator Effectiveness content team to continue support IDOE in these areas, and also in implementing the eight strategies of the BRC:
Mentoring: Establish a state-funded, ongoing investment in a mentoring system, based on a common set of expectations, that is flexible and locally designed, to support new teacher induction and nurture the reflective practitioner.
Positive Press: Create, implement, and sustain a robust marketing campaign that leverages all forms of media to promote the education profession.
Compensation: Allow for locally-developed compensation models that include a pay scale which has a professionally competitive base and index, increases regularly on the base and expands opportunities for pay based on career paths, including ongoing learning through advanced degrees and/or additional licensure in education or related content areas. Establish and compensate teacher leadership and career ladders that have mentoring opportunities and ongoing advancement, support, and recognition of teacher skills and expertise.
Evaluation and Assessment: Include in the local evaluation system an emphasis on how teachers use data from multiple forms of assessment, including informal, teacher-constructed, and standardized assessments to inform instruction and measure student growth, thus clarifying the purpose of and reducing the number of standardized tests.
Diverse Workforce: Recruit and retain a diverse workforce and candidate pool that includes underrepresented populations.
Clinical Experiences: Strengthen partnerships among P-12 schools and institutions of higher education and require significant, extended pre-service clinical experiences prior to licensing.
Professional Development: Identify and re-establish state funds for job-embedded professional development that improves teachers’ and administrators’ knowledge and practice.
Career Pathways and Leadership: Re-envision teacher career pathways and leadership opportunities to encourage, develop, and retain teacher-leaders and provide pathways for promotion, so that teachers have the opportunity to advance in ways beyond leaving the classroom for administrative positions.
Through pursuit of this project, GLCC, GTL, and the AIR Educator Effectiveness content team will support IDOE in writing and implementing a powerful plan in response to ESSA.
Progress to Date: GLCC…
- Assisted IDOE in developing and facilitating the six-session BRC, which increased stakeholder understanding of the teacher shortage in Indiana, both statewide and in specific communities and developed policy recommendations for the 2016 Indiana state legislative session.
- Assisted IDOE in implementing its federally recognized plan for the Excellent Educators for All initiative.
- Co-planned and co-facilitated a statewide ESSA summit, a collaborative between IDOE and CCSSO.
- Provided a professional development workshop for the IDOE Licensure staff on the Lean tools for continuous organizational improvement. This training resulted in the reorganization of the Licensure office, improved cross-office collaboration, and more efficient service to Indiana educators.
- Supported the offices of Educator Effectiveness, Recruitment and Retention, and Licensure in implementing the strategic plan, specifically addressing IDOE’s response to ESSA.
- Brokered a professional relationship with the Indiana Association of School Principals (IASP) in the continuing development of the Indiana New Administrators Leadership Institute (INALI).
Research and Resources
GLCC will utilize the research provided by the GTL Center on the recruitment and retention of excellent educators on the Innovation Station. GLCC will also use the Equitable Access Toolkit to support the implementation of the equitable access plan. GLCC will review the research and models provided by the EASN for implementation support.