In Year 6, the Great Lakes Comprehensive Center (GLCC) and the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders (GTL Center) worked closely with the Ohio Department of Education’s (ODE’s) Center for Curriculum and Assessment and the Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Advisory Board to develop new Grades 4–12 SEL standards and revised Grades K–3 SEL standards.
In Year 7, GLCC and the GTL Center will continue to collaborate with ODE to develop a standards and school climate implementation plan that includes training for regional system of support staff and district staff. Training will include evidence-based tools and online professional learning and resources that will support the integration of SEL standards into instruction. GLCC also will support the integration of SEL standards into other initiatives (e.g., the Early Warning Intervention and Monitoring System [EWIMS]). Through this project, ODE will have increased capacity to support district and school implementation of SEL standards and school climate guidelines, and increased student attendance in pilot sites. Expected outputs include updated school climate guidelines and online professional learning modules. Longer-term outcomes include decline in chronic absenteeism and SEL standards embedded in instruction and lesson plans so that there are fewer behavior referrals and fewer students dropping out of school.
In a recent survey of Ohio educators conducted by ODE, only 23% stated that they were very confident in knowing what behaviors to look for in assessing whether students meet social and emotional standards. Ohio’s school climate guidelines are now 11 years old; however, only 51% of surveyed educators know that these guidelines exist. ODE is interested in discovering what districts and schools are doing to improve the conditions for learning and how schools are integrating SEL into the classroom. ODE seeks to capture the best practices from the field to use as the foundation for standards implementation training.
Milestone 1. Guidance document for ODE to use in integrating SEL into existing initiatives developed (e.g. EWIMS, literacy). (10/30/18)
Milestone 2. Existing evidence-based tools and resources and new resources that support implementation of SEL standards and school climate guidelines, and that could be adapted for Ohio identified and developed. (12/15/18)
Milestone 3. Implementation and communication plan that includes training for regional providers and district staff developed in collaboration with ODE. (01/30/19)
Milestone 4. Ohio’s 11-year-old school climate guidelines updated to reflect current research by the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environment (NCSSLE), in collaboration with ODE and stakeholders. (02/15/19)
Milestone 5. Online professional learning experiences for teachers and principals focused on integrating SEL into instruction and classroom practice developed in collaboration with ODE. (03/15/19)
Expected Capacity Building Outcomes
Primary: Improved knowledge and skills
Secondary: Improved materials and assets
- ODE will have increased knowledge, skills, and resources to integrate SEL into existing initiatives (e.g., EWIMS, literacy) as demonstrated by a review of resources and training materials in these initiatives
- ODE will have increased knowledge, skills, and resources to support district and school implementation of SEL standards and school climate guidelines as reflected in instruction and classroom practice
- Pilot school sites will have increased knowledge, skills, and resources for implementing SEL standards and school climate guidelines that result in increased student attendance as documented through the Education Management Information System (EMIS)
- ODE will have increased resources in the form of an implementation plan, including a comprehensive communication plan, for SEL standards and school climate guidelines that will enable more schools to implement SEL standards and school climate guidelines
- Guidance document for integrating SEL standards into existing initiatives
- Evidence-based tools and resources that support implementation of SEL standards and school climate guidelines
- Updated Ohio school climate guidelines
- Implementation and communication plan
- Online professional learning modules